Thursday, February 5, 2009

Anxiety Disorders & Panic Attacks - The Challenge


The most common question I'm asked by patients in clinic is:

"Can someone completely recover from an anxiety or panic disorder?"

The answer to this question is, yes.  I often wish patients could be a fly on the wall in my clinic to witness how many other patients DO recover.

The other common question I hear is:

"Will I ever get back to being the person I used to be before I had anxiety?"

The answer to this question is, no.  Anxiety and panic disorders demand that you grow as an individual.  To overcome anxiety you discover empowerment and let go of fear.  This was not the 'old' you.

*  *  *  *  *

The biggest challenge for anyone with an anxiety disorder is solving the 'how'.

How do I stop the symptoms?

How can I think differently?

How do I behave differently?

Answering these 'hows' requires that you start investigating how you operate both physically and mentally.  Then making the choice to try something different.

A very simple example of this concerns breathing:  most of us know that breathing incorrectly can bring on anxiety symptoms.  Understanding the nature of breath will give you the ability to change bad breathing habits.  This will have a huge impact on the anxiety symptoms.

Investigating your diet, learning about your nervous system and breathing patterns, being aware of thoughts preceding an anxiety or panic attack are all important steps in undoing bad habits.  You are now taking an interest in you and in your ailment.

We will write more on the topic of 'how' as we move along in our blog.  But firstly I would like to take this opportunity to hear from people who have recovered from anxiety as inspiration and encouragement to others.  It can be done.......  It has been done!

4 comments:

  1. Would just like to comment regarding the above, that I had anxiety
    (and occasionally panic attacks) for approximately 15 years. I did
    find COMPLETE relief from combining different therapies that worked
    for me. I used a lot of calming techniques involving breath and
    worked on ridding myself from what I called my 'toxic' thoughts.
    Anxiety can be difficult to live with and would urge anyone to keep
    on looking for their answer because, like me, it is possible. It was
    just finding the 'how'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Nice article has been posted. i really like the way you have put every point in this article. i did get lots of good points from here. thanks for sharing such a nice article here. i would like to see some information related to period pain here in this article. keep on posting such article.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, i would like to read more information about this topic because i think that is really interesting, besides, the post has very good informaton.

    Fitness certification

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com OR info@drituaherbalcenter.com. We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete